Sogetsu Colorado Branch invites you to join us for a special two-day workshop featuring lessons from the new Book 5. Kika Shibata, Riji will be the guest sensei.
Kika Shibata, Riji
|Born in Kumamoto, Japan. Began studying Ikebana under the tutelage of her mother, Mrs. Shoka Narimatsu at age four|
|1960||Moved to United States.
Returned regularly to Japan to study under Ms. Kasumi Teshigahara
|1989||Promoted to Sogetsu’s highest teacher rank of Riji|
|1990||Appointed Deputy Director of the Sogetsu San Jose-South Bay Branch|
|1996||Appointed Sogetsu Regional Director of North America|
|Appointed as Sogetsu West Coast Coordinator of North America|
|2001||Received the prestigious Sogetsu Kaigaisho award given to teachers outside of Japan for outstanding and dedicated work|
|2013||Served as translator to Akane Teshigahara, Headmaster of Sogetsu School of Flower Arranging during the 9th North American Seminar in Los Angeles, California|
|2017||Received “Sogetsu Overseas Honor Award” for the special Sogetsu 90th anniversary celebration.
Reaches about 100 students weekly in her Bay Area and Sacramento classes
|Holds regularly scheduled classes in San Diego, Sacramento, Arizona, and Las Vegas|
|Has authored and published three books of Ikebana floral design|
Friday, September 20th
- Welcome dinner: 6: 30 p.m.
Location: The Club at Rolling Hills
15707 West 26th Ave, Golden, CO 80401
Saturday, September 21st
- AM Workshop: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Book 5 – Lesson 7 “Composition Using Unconventional Materials” Limit: 36
- Lunch: 12:30 -1:30 p.m.
- PM Workshop: 1: 30 to 4:30 p.m.
Book 5 – Lesson 26-29 ” Using Decorative Wire for Securing Branches” Limit: 36
Location: Wheat Ridge Active Adult Center
6363 W. 35th Ave., Wheat Ridge, CO
- Post Workshop Dinner: 5:30 p.m.
Location: Namiko’s Japanese Restaurant
7310 W 52nd Ave., Arvada, CO
Sunday, September 22nd
- AM Workshop: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Book 5-Lesson 26-29 “Teaching Skills”
Location: Home of Michiko Yamamoto
Meals are not included in the workshop prices. Optional meals are offered for purchase and must be pre-ordered by Sept. 2nd. Please fill in and return the meal choice form if you order a meal.
Friday, September 20th
- Welcome Dinner 6:30 p.m.
This will be a 3-course plated dinner with four entrée options:
Grilled Vegetable Napoleon; Marinated and Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, Eggplant, Zuccini, Yellow squash, Red Pepper, Tomato, Mozzarella, Balsamic Reduction, Basil Pesto, Red Pepper Coulis
Roasted Tournedos of Beef: Two Hand Cut, Pan Seared Medallions of Beef Tenderloin, Bernaise, Bordelaise Sauce
Chicken Saltimbocca: Sautéed Chicken Breast, Fresh Sage, Prosciutto, Provolone Cheese, Sauce Supreme
Poached Filet of Salmon served with Light Dill Sauce
Dinner includes an entrée, Regular or Decaf Coffee, La Brea Rolls with Butter, House Salad, Oven Roasted Red Baby Potatoes, a Fresh Vegetable Medley, and Dessert. Tickets for beer and wine are available for sale.
Meal Price: $45, Wine/Beer Ticket Price $7
Saturday, September 21st
- Lunch 12:30 p.m.
You may supply your own lunch or pre-order a Deli or Bento Box Lunch. Bento Boxes ($25) will be catered by Namiko’s Japanese Restaurant and the Deli Boxes ($15) will be supplied by Jason’s Deli. Drinks for all attendees are included in the registration fee.
- Dinner 5:30 p.m.
A post workshop dinner will be held at Namiko’s Japanese Restaurant. Meals will be ordered from the menu and there will be separate checks. We do need to make reservations so please indicate on the Registration form if you plan to attend.
Qualifications for Registration
- You must be a member of a Sogetsu Ikebana Branch or Study Group to register for the workshops. Contact Kimiko Kuno at Colorado@gmail.com for a Sogetsu Colorado Branch membership form if you wish to join the Colorado Branch. Please write “New Membership” in the subject line.
- The minimum study level recommended for the General Workshops on Saturday is completion of Book 2. Consult your sensei if you have any questions about your qualifications for these workshops.
- The Sunday AM workshop is open only to STA members who are current in their STA dues and paid the teaching level dues.
The final Registration Deadline is Monday, September 2nd. The discount early registration deadline for both Saturday workshops is Friday, August 16th. Registration is on a first come-first serve basis.
- Workshop Fees
- Full refund minus $10 processing fee until registration deadline
- Full refund minus $10 processing fee after deadline if spot can be filled
- 50% fee refund from registration deadline up until 2 weeks prior to workshop
- With approval of the board, the 50% refund may be extended into the final week before the workshop in case of an emergency (illness, death in family, etc.)
- No refunds for cancellations on the day of the event.
- 10% late fee for registrations or payments accepted after deadline.
- Meal Charges
- Full Refund until meal orders are placed. No refund after that.
- If a purchased meal is sold to another participant, the person buying the meal needs to directly reimburse the person who is selling the meal.
- Email: Colorado@gmail.com for additional information or questions.